- 2 15 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 16 oz package frozen veggies
- 2 Cups frozen cut okra
- 2 Teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 3 Cups white or brown rice
- In a 3 1/2- to 4 1/2-quart slow cooker combine beans, tomatoes, vegetables, okra, and Cajun seasoning.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Cook rice according to directions
- Ladle gumbo into shallow bowls over hot cooked rice. If desired, sprinkle with green onions.
Lentil Soup with Beef and Red Pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup lentils or split peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 3/4-inch pieces. In a nonstick skillet cook beef over medium-high heat until browned on all sides.
- Place meat in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker.
- Stir in broth, lentils, water, sweet pepper, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, cumin, and cayenne pepper
- Cover and cook on low-heat for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Stir in parsley
- Ladle soup into bowls.
Beef and Black Bean Chili
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 1 chopped large onion
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 15 ounce can black beans
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of beef broth
- 2 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbs hot chili powder
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbs smoked paprika
- In a large skillet cook ground beef until brown, and drain fat
- Stir in onion, green pepper, and garlic over medium heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes
- Transfer meat and cooked veggies into a 4-quart slow cooker
- Add remaining ingredients. Let cook on high heat for 5 hrs, or low heat for 8-10 hrs
Parmesan Chicken with Pasta
- 1 9 ounce bag of pasta
- 4 large carrots thinly sliced,
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 teaspoons of basil pesto (Warning: pesto contains nuts)
- 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan
- 1 pounds skinless, boneless thinly sliced chicken breast
- Cook pasta according to the package.
- Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet cook carrots in 1 tablespoon melted butter over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add chicken; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until no pink remains in chicken. Add 4 tablespoons pesto; toss to coat.
- Drain pasta. Return to pan; toss with remaining butter and pesto. Serve with chicken mixture. Sprinkle pasta with Parmesan cheese and ground black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and top with basil.
Chili – Pasta Skillet
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, black beans, or red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 9 oz packet of your choice pasta (elbow, shell, etc)
- 1 4 oz can diced green chili peppers, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet cook meat and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat.
- Stir beans, can tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili peppers, chili powder, and garlic salt into the meat and onion mixture. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes, stirring often.